How to work for God
Tips on How to work for God
One of the greatest privileges that God’s grace gives us is the opportunity to be God’s children. But being God’s children is quite different from being God’s employees.Being God’s workmen is a totally different privilege all together. The word work in Hebrew is the same word for used for worship. Working for God is an act of worship. And God doesn’t accept just any type of worship. That’s why Jesus said that God is looking for people who worship him in spirit and in truth. In the Old testament, the sacrificial system was how people offered worship to God through the sweet smelling aroma of their sacrifices. Today, we are called to be living sacrifices that are pleasing and acceptable to God.
The scriptures that really help me on this subject of preparing to work for God are: 2 Tim 2:15, 2 Tim 3:16-17 NASB. There are obviously many others.
The following are some pearls that I’ve found that will help you work for God better. Remember not all work that a Christian does is acceptable to God. I will be adding to the following list of points as I learn more. So you may want to bookmark this page to visit in the future. My goal in life is to live for God. That’s why I’m doing the study on how to work for God. I hope you can make it your life goal to to live for God.
- Focus on God’s will, not on the work. That’s how Jesus did.
- Our Motive must be because of our love for God. Motive should not be for results, our focus should not be results either. Our work should be a labor of love. If love for God is the only reason for which we serve, then we will accept suffering with joy and not be dismayed. It is quite possible to do good work for the wrong reason. Worse still, it’s quite possible for us not to know that the reason is wrong when we do it.
- Our power must be the Holy Spirit. Any work done by human power or will is unacceptable to God.
- Understand God’s authority both direct and delegated. We are slaves of God.
- Understand God’s love and father’s heart for us. That is the ground on which we stand and the engine that supplies power to us to express as love for God. We love God because he first loved us. We must understand God’s love before we can appropriately love God.
- Understand God’s purposes in the world today. His love for souls. God is a missionary God.
- Live in the light of eternity, powered by our love for God. Love for God should be the reason, the result, and the means by which we do everything. It should be the only goal and end of our work. It should be so much so that if we could love God without doing anything or achieving or owning anything, we would do it.
- We must be completely broken. Our will must be completely and totally surrendered to God’s will. This prepares us to be used by God tremendously. This is a difficult step and sometimes God sends us through difficulties to help us to be broken so he can use us.
What tips do you have for working with God? Share below.